Text Speak – A guide for grown ups written by kids (well a kid).

Luv u lots

Hello!
Are you a grown up?
Do you not understand text speak?
Are you constantly asking yourself  ‘Why has my child who can spell perfectly well sent me a text saying: Hi mum goin out wiv frnd plz giv cash i iz broke send me a txt ASAP luv u lol. What does it all mean?!’

If the answer to all these questions is yes then please read on…

The reason why kids use Text Speak is because typing on a mobile phone can be extremely hard. On my mobile phone I have to tap a button 4 times in quick succession to get the letter S. Blackberrys have minute buttons. iPhones on the other hand I personally find rather easy to use and if i ever text on either my mum or dad’s phone I don’t use text speak at all (mostly).  However many people are not lucky enough to own this Apple luxury and resort to making words shorter to save time and effort. And thus Text Speak was born.

Another few reasons:
1. It looks funny
2. It annoys adults.
3. If aliens ever invade they won’t konw what we are going on about.
4. Also it is useful if you are a spy
5. Recent studys show that cats and giant pandas understand text speak. (I may have made that up.)
6. It looks coolr. Lol 🙂

A few bits of vocabulary:

Iz=is
tu=to
lol= laugh out loud (not loads of lard as Jae thought it was)
goin=going

OMG= Oh My God
IPM = I’ve Peed Myself
ISM = I’ve Pooed Myself
TMHM plz = Take Me Home Mum please

El

Advertisements

January 19, 2012. Tags: , , . Top Tips.

12 Comments

1. actuallymummy replied:

Oh my good lord I had no idea! Happy now to have an understanding of LMAO – someone did that on my blog today and I was rather confused! 😉

2. Liz Burton replied:

Brilliant! I always knew Pandas were smart.

3. El replied:

Glad to have helped!!!!!

4. Misha replied:

OMG. Are emoticons ok for grown ups to use :S I’ve never really been sure about that one 🙂 Not only a great post, but also very informative for someone of my vintage!!

• El replied:

Anyone can use emojis! Just don’t overuse them because they can get boring. And don’t try too hard be cool because it will sound unnatural and slightly pathetic. But if you just use them when it seems right then that’s fine.
      However you could ignore my advice completly. It’s a free country and I’m not the boss of you.

5. Love All Blogs replied:

ooo I hadn’t heard ISM before! Gawd I am officially no longer ‘down wid da kidz’ !

• El replied:

I’ll tell you a little secret – Jae made it up
      She’s funny like that.

6. Patricia Campbell replied:

Dear El and Jae
    Thank u 4 simplifying the world. Never 2 old 2learn. (or too young).
    Granni

7. Vote El! (And also Jae!) « Eljae – A blog by El and Jae replied:

[…] explained what to do if someone calls you a nerd, what it means when kids use text speak and why homework should be […]

8. Daz Ellis replied:

I didn’t know half of those and I AMN A KIRD!

9. Daz Ellis replied:

KID!

10. Matthew (@Matth9999) replied:

Txtspeak versus T9, which is faster?
    On my 1st phone that had T9, I diddn’t have a clue – my old one was a brick, and never had it.
    Having got to grips with how T9 handles, and using word predictions, I don’t know if txtspeak would be any fewer taps.
    Also, with T9, every word is correctly spelt – of course, with the possible T9 prediction oddities, it may end up as nonsense, but at least it’s correctly spelt nonsense.

PS. Apologies, looking for T9/autocorrect errors may lead to some NSFW language.